photo sfdsfdsfsd_zpsrt2ofbr1.jpg
HOME       ABOUT       CONTACT       POLICIES

04 April 2013

Being a young mother.

 
   I was barely 19 years old when those two pink lines decided to blatantly show themselves to me in 2011. I knew that I was pregnant before I had even taken the test. I was a nanny at the time, and I had spent the last week curled up around the toilet during nap times. Paul was away at college, and only came home for the weekends, or I had gone up to visit him. This time, when he came down, I told him to bring a test home with him.
   I had dropped out of college at this point and moved back home with my parents. School wasn't for me at the time, and my heart and soul weren't in it. I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life, when it came to a career, and I wasn't about to waste my money on something I wasn't entirely sure of.
Paul and I immediately told our parents. It wasn't something that we wanted to hide.  We were scared. We were unsure of how things were going to play out, and we were totally clueless as to what our next step was going to be. But we knew one thing was for sure; we were without a doubt going to have this baby.


My parents were incredibly supportive in our decision, and also agreed that every child that is brought into this world is a gift from God. That made my journey through pregnancy so much easier. I began to embrace the fact that I was creating a beautiful being inside of me, and the bump that continued to grow so gracefully with each passing week.
  As the weeks went by, and I started to really show, I noticed that I was starting to get looks and sometimes even rude comments from people, due to my age. Even though Paul and I were already engaged, I would have women tell me You do know what birth control is, don't you?  Or, Well now, don't you think you're a little young? What do you plan to do with it?

I was beginning to realize that I was being casted into the 'Teen Mom' stereotype. And I didn't like it. At all.

Who were these people to judge me? They had no idea what I was going through, or what my situation was. I began to get angry, and not want to go out much. But then, one day, I realized something. I have to embrace the life that God has given me. Even though it wasn't necessarily playing out the way that Paul and I had planned.
  It's hard being casted into that stereotype. Seeing a young woman, pregnant, automatically they get casted into a bad shadow. And to be honest, it really sucks.

Most wouldn't think that at 19 my husband and I had everything and more that our baby boy could have possibly needed. Most wouldn't understand that we were happy with the way things had ended playing out.

At 22 years old, I am a mother of 2 beautiful boys. We have our own home, a fabulous marriage, a absolutely wonderful church community, and amazing family and friends. I doubt the people that give me glares at Target, as I push my cart with my boys in it, would think that was the case.
Being stereotyped isn't fun. And starting out as a teen mother was a challenge. But I wouldn't change anything for the world. Some ask me Well don't you wish that you would have finished college? Don't you wish that you would have chosen to do things differently? 

Not a bit. Not for a second. My boys are my world. They are the reason I get up every morning. I know that I was meant to be a mother. And I feel like God meant it to happen exactly at the time that it did. Because becoming a mother at such a young age, taught me so much. And I am so grateful for every moment that I have been given to do so.



7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post! So honest! :)
    I am also a young mommy! I got married at 17, was gonna be 18 in a couple months and had Joshua at 19. I remember the comments people would say about me back then. It's hard hearing such negativity especially from family memebers but thanks to God we are about to be 8 years married and we now have 3 kiddos. We have had some rough patches like any other marriage but I thank God for the blessings he's given us. I NEVER regret getting married so young. It's not for everyone but I feel it was right for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I can completely relate. My husband and I got married at 19 (he was 20) before he left for Navy boot camp. We got pregnant when I was still 19, I had our first daughter at 20. A lot of people judged us and I tried hard not to let it bother me. By the time I was 22 I had two girls. I'm now 32 with FOUR GIRLS and my husband and I have been married for almost 13 years. It's hard being a young mom but I wouldn't change having my kiddos for anything in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can so relate! I love being a young mom too. Though I am 29 with a 2 year old, I've constantly been mistaken as the nanny or babysitter because I'm obviously too young to have kids myself.


    We got married at 22, and I remember the looks on people's faces asking why did I get hitched so early.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the way you looked at the situation! Being a young mommy isn't easy but is most definitely an amazing experience. I'm 19 now. Had my first at 16 got married at 17 moved with my husband and son to ft hood army post in tx 2 months later her deployed for a year then found out I was pregnant with a beautiful little girl.. Our first was

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was not planned but she was then he came home in a yr June 14 2012 and we are about to get our first ultra sound bc we have a little 3rd that popped up :) being a young mother wasn't what I had planned but God blessed me with soon to be 3 beautiful children that I wouldn't go back on or trade for a thing they are my world!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the way you looked at the situation! Being a young mommy isn't easy but is most definitely an amazing experience. I'm 19 now. Had my first at 16 got married at 17 moved with my husband and son to ft hood army post in tx 2 months later her deployed for a year then found out I was pregnant with a beautiful little girl.. Our first was

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful perspective! Everything happens for a reason and you and your husband made a great decision!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love getting feedback and connecting with my readers!