photo sfdsfdsfsd_zpsrt2ofbr1.jpg
HOME       ABOUT       CONTACT       POLICIES

27 May 2014

HIKING IS FUN, EXCEPT WHEN SNAKES ARE INVOLVED

This past week I was super excited that Paul had several days off. It meant we got to spend some time together as a family, and let's face it, I stole some time away to myself. Because well, that pretty much never happens. I knew that I wanted to get out of the house, and move around some. When I found out that there were some hiking trails not too far from my house, I was pumped. I've been wanting to get out and hike for awhile now, and this was the perfect opportunity to have some me time, exercise, and enjoy the outdoors. I pulled up to the trail with Oliver, our 7 month old Border Collie, Springer Spaniel. It was the perfect amount of breeze and heat, enough to really make me work up a sweat. I was ready for a nice little workout. They had two trails available; an east and west loop. East, east looked good. Yeah, right. Little did I know there was hell waiting for me a few miles down the trail.

There are a few things that this mama is afraid of. The list goes as follows:


  • Sharks - Because really, who likes sharks other than on Shark Week?
  • Bugs - Any type. Don't even try to hand me a lady bug. Nope.
  • Snakes - Okay, let's just look back on the book of Genesis. Need I say more?
  • Murderers - Homie don't play that. 
 So, I'm headed down the trail, avoiding horse poop as I walk, because we were lucky enough to be about a mile behind some riders, and clearly there horses had the walking craps. There was almost no avoiding it. Luckily I can really feel myself getting a good workout in. The trail was gorgeous. I could hear the river in the distance, while the birds conversed with one another through the trees. There was a light breeze, and the leaves rustling as I walked gave a peaceful feel to the woods. Oliver was as happy as a lark, leading the way, and observing everything as he trotted along.

And then, it happened.

If I could have sprouted wings, and flown backwards 50 feet, I would have. Oliver almost trampled over it. So much for a watch dog. Sunning itself in the middle of the narrow trail, was 3 foot, super thick, devil snake. And it had spotted the pup and I. So what do I do? I automatically start crying. Yep. Alone on the trail, grown adult mama over here starts sobbing. I felt like I was stuck. Looking back I realize I'm a total pansy when it comes to snakes, and I would definitely be the first victim in a horror film.
I grab my phone, and call my grandfather. He is a well known botanist and scientist in the Atlanta area, and I knew that he could identify this for me. After explaining what the devil serpent looked like, and send a photo, he told me it was a Red Bellied Water Snake. He also said just toss a couple of sticks at it, and it should slither off the path and on it's way. So after I compose myself, I start lightly tossing some sticks at it. Each time, I am shaking so much that I miss. Finally, one lands on the snake.  But the snake doesn't. even. flinch. It just sits there, continuing to stare.

I mean, look at this sucker, it's no baby.  And sorry, not sorry for the lack of quality. This was my phone zoomed in maximum to even get a photo of this creepy thing.


I finally said, screw this, I am not even going to try to get past this Sci-Fi Channel leading star. I headed back the other way, making sure that I warned every person I saw, that devil serpent was waiting for it's next victim down the trail.  The only good thing to come out of this little adventure? I burnt 645 calories. Holla.

Are you afraid of snakes? Have you ever encountered one like this before? Sound off in the comments! I want to hear your story! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I love getting feedback and connecting with my readers!